Tourism in Murcia
Paseo del Malecón: from a defensive wall to a walk full of history
Asset of Cultural Interest, located near the Verónicas Market, the Almudí Palace and other points of tourist interest
It dates back to the 15th century although it was rebuilt in the 18th century. It is one of the most emblematic places of the city.
The Malecon was created as a retaining wall of the waters of the Segura River
It originated around 1420, after two major floods, the decision of the City Council was made to demolish the old and punished houses of the Arrixaca neighborhood, to build a wall, which rises on the same place of the river of the current promenade.
Despite going under numerous repairs, at the end of the 18th century it was very deteriorated, with its re-editing in the year 1,736 by the Corregidor of the city D. Francisco de Luján y Arce. In 1745, Cardinal Belluga is completely rebuilt, taking the form we know today.
The Malecón: a beautiful artery of leisure and rest where the city and the orchard meet.
Today it is an exceptional walk about three meters high above ground level. It goes more than 1,500 meters into the Orchard trying to surround the city on its west side and running between the gardens of the former Convent of San Francisco and that of the Botanic. It is a place for leisure and a promenade from which you can enjoy magnificent views. It also has many stone seats along its entire route to rest.
The Malecón, the biggest green lung in the whole city
On the right bank we can find the Botanical Garden, born from the union of the grounds of the old garden with other adjoining orchards such as the orchard of the Cypresses or that of the Bombs, with a beautiful baroque cover that is still preserved. Today it is the largest garden in Murcia, since it was destined as a botanical garden, it recovered the name with which many citizens know it. Originally belonging to a Provincial Institute, and was created for the practices of its students, remains of that garden are the most notable specimens of trees that still exist.
HOURS, TICKETS AND GUIDES
Open 24 hours.
Free entrance. Accessible space.